Thursday, June 29, 2006

Twin Peaks.

Wednesday, June 28th


I did South Boulder Peak and Bear Peak on Wednesday from the South Mesa Trailhead. The picture above was taken from the turnoff of the trailhead. These two peaks are really twin summits of South Boulder Mountain. South Boulder Peak is on the left, Bear Peak is on the right. (The big bump in the middle is on the ridge - but it's not either one of the summits). Shadow Canyon divides the ridge in the foreground (on the right) and the right in the background (on the left). I went up Shadow Canyon, climbed South Boulder Peak first, then did Bear Peak, and followed Fern Canyon back down, which is roughly the far right hand skyline.

I could have thought of other titles for this post, including "Pain & Suffering" or "If misery loves company, why am I all alone?". This was a hard effort. My goal was 2:15. I had done Green Mountain in 2:10 a month ago, and I figured this loop, even though it's about 1/3 mile shorter, would take longer. (Note - I recalculated the distance - and it came out exactly equal - 8.2 miles to other loop. I had an error on my map) The terrain is tougher, and there is about 750ft more elevation gain. This loop is probably about 15 - 20 minutes longer (for someone who travels at my speed) but I was hoping that I had gotten faster since I did Green Mountain. The loop naturally breaks up into ~ 5 different sections: Trailhead to mouth of Shadow Canyon via Towhee trail (2.1 miles, 960 ft, 9.1%), Up Shadow Canyon to the saddle (1.1 miles, 1620ft, 27.9%!!!), summits of South Boulder Peak and Bear Peak (1 mile total, 650 ft in .7 miles, 17.6%), down Fern Canyon (1.4 miles, ~2000ft, 27%!!!), out the mesa trail to the trailhead (2.7 miles, ~860ft, avg. 6%).

I started up the Towhee trail. I jogged for about 5 minutes, and I could tell I was working way too hard for a sustained effort. I began to power hike the uphills, and continued to jog the flat sections. Molly and I did this same trail as our very first run of the year, and it felt a lot easier then. Hmmm, I must have had fresh legs early in the season. I continued to move as fast as I thought I could given that this was really on the first 20% of the loop. I hooked up with the mesa trail, continued hiking up underneath the maiden, and when the trail flattened out I started to jog again into Shadow Canyon. I made the cutoff in 28:30. Certainly not fast, but it gave me hope I could make my goal.

Shadow Canyon is an ominous place. The grade picks up immediately, it gets darker, and in general just doesn't feel great. I knew I was in a for a long climb up to the saddle. I had done this hike only once before. After about 10 minutes, things start to lighten up and it seems as though the top is near, but really its just more light coming through over the south ridge of bear peak. The terrain finally started to level out, and I made the saddle exactly 36 minutes after I started - 1:04:30 overall. I just can't seem to break through the 2500ft/hour barrier. I was getting pretty wiped by this point, but I knew the summit of south boulder peak was less than 10 minutes away. I headed left up the (now not too steep) trail, and after ~6 minutes came to the final boulder file. A twisted ankle here would not be fun (I hadn't seen anyone since I entered Shadow canyon), so I took my time and reached the summit register at 1:13:40. The view west from the summit is spectacular. I think South Boulder Peak is probably the highest point going from east to west until the divide. I could see the entire Indian Peaks and north to Longs Peak. I only stayed about a minute, tightened up the laces on both shows, and was back at the saddle at ~1:21. I could begin to feel my goal of 2;15 slipping away, but I headed over to Bear Peak, and even managed to jog a little bit of the uphill. I was on top of Bear Peak by 1:32 (less than 18 minutes after leaving SBP) and again I only stayed a minute. I knew the next 1 1/2 miles would be tough, but I wasn't prepared for what was to come.

The Fern Canyon trail is steep, rocky, loose shale, and exposed tree roots. To borrow a phrase from the 80s - "totally gnarly". Running really wasn't an option for me here - I was just hoping to get down without falling. After about 800 vertical ft the trail improves and it's basically switchbacks with huge steps, but at least they weren't loose. I was also able to make use of trees close to the trail for balance. I felt like I was moving pretty well, but the 1.4 miles to the mesa trail took 30 minutes!! ouch - not even 20 minutes/mile!! By this time I was extremely tired, and knew I wasn't going to make my goal of 2:15. It was a little disheartening, and I knew the next few miles would be a struggle. My whole body was feeling weak with exhaustion. I traded off jogging/walking on the mesa trail and I hit the Bluestem cutoff at 2:16. Less than 2 miles to go, but I was a wreck. My goal was to just keep moving at a reasonable pace, and not fall. I had to walk the little uphill section where Bluestem meets up with the mesa trail, and I made the cutoff at 2:25. Just around the corner from here I could see the finish. I jogged the main path, walked the shortcut, and jogged to the end, finishing in a dismal 2:38:00.

In retrospect, I'm not exactly sure where I lost it. Did I go out too fast? not drink enough? not eat enough? I was pushing pretty hard on the Fern Canyon trail (although you wouldn't know it by my time), and I think this really took it's toll. I probably could have eaten more too - maybe next time I'll try some gels. I don't think I'll do this loop again - the top of the Fern Canyon trail was really no fun. I'd go up Fern Canyon, but not down it. Maybe start at NCAR, go up Fern Canyon, then down the west ridge? down shadow canyon? who knows, but I'll be back soon.

Approximate splits:
Mouth of Shadow Canyon: 28:30
Saddle: 1:04:30
Summit of South Boulder Peak: 1:13:41
Saddle: 1:21
Summit of Bear Peak: 1:32
Mesa Trail: 2:02
Bluestem cutoff: 2:16
Mesa Trail: 2:25
Finish: 2:38:00.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home